Before we get too far down the road, let me share with you some of the details from Niko’s party!
All decorations – I got on amazon, of course. I used evite for the guest list, you can send a link directly to people, doesn’t have to be just through the site, and you’ll still be able to receive their reply. Also – you can link it to the amazon wishlist, but apparently it will not be set to ship to your address by default – which I didn’t know right away.
And as for the cupcakes:
I used this recipe from a blog that I found: (copying the text so I can find it later too =)
Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting
yield: 18 CUPCAKES
prep time: 30 MINUTES
total time: 3 HOURS, 50 MINUTES (INCLUDES COOLING)
The ultimate trio of your favorite flavors! Super-moist banana chocolate chip cupcakes topped with milk chocolate and peanut butter swirled frosting.
- ½ cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 and ½ cups mashed banana (about 3 large very ripe bananas)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (120ml) buttermilk1
- 1 cup (180g) mini or regular semi-sweet chocolate chips
MILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING
- 1 and 3/4 cups (210g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup (21g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) heavy cream or half-and-half2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- salt, to taste
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 3/4 cup (185g) creamy peanut butter
- 4 Tablespoons (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup (90g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream or half-and-half2
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two 12-count muffin pans with 18 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Make the cupcakes: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a large bowl on medium speed until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating on low speed for about 1 minute.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, stirring by hand after each addition. Add the milk and stir until combined. The batter will be lumpy. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into 18 cupcake liners. Fill the unused cups one-third full with water to prevent warping. Bake each batch for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the chocolate frosting: sift together the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder to assure there are no lumps. Set aside. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy – about 2 minutes. Gradually add the sifted sugar/cocoa powder alternately with the heavy cream and vanilla. Beat on low speed after each addition. Once all added, beat on high speed until creamy and combined for at least 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
- Make the peanut butter frosting: With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the peanut butter and butter on medium speed until creamy and completely smooth – about 3 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Mix on medium until combined. Add the cream and mix on high until creamy, at least 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with a knife or with a piping bag/tip. If you’d like to just make 1 kind of frosting and not both, make sure you double the frosting recipe of your choice to make sure there is enough for all cupcakes. To swirl the two frostings like I did, here is how I made the swirl frosting. There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake. Decorate with banana slices and/or more chocolate chips if desired. Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.
- Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes and frosting 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and the frosting covered tightly in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.
And I also made a batch of non-chocolate cupcakes because apparently there are people in this world that don’t like chocolate, and they turned out to be a bigger hit than the banana chocolate ones!
I tried to shortcut to the max, and I used this recipe for the actual cake part adding in some extra lemon juice because it didn’t seem like it had enough to me, and this recipe for the frosting. They were eaten too fast for me to get a picture!
Oh, and I bet you didn’t know – you can order a pinata and the candy to fill it with – on Amazon as well!